Revive Your Frizzy Synthetic Wigs
Synthetic wigs are made of artificial hair that gets easily frizzy after wearing only a few times. However, synthetic lace front wigs of today are much pricier than other synthetic wigs, so you have more reasons to maintain them well and prolong their lifetime. Newer synthetic wigs go through special treatments, making it possible to last up to 4-6 months as long as you use proper care and caution.
Can you use fabric softeners to wash your wig?
You should never brush wigs while they are wet. Before doing anything, make sure your wigs are not wet. You should let them dry first, and you can use a brush specially made for wigs and brush from the hair tip and way up. Hot water can damage the wig’s fiber, so you should always use lukewarm water. When washing a wig, you should always use a shampoo specially made for wigs. Recently, fabric softener hacks are spreading on various social media sites because laundry detergents and fabric softeners are well suited for synthetic fibers. Fabric softeners are also helpful for maintaining soft, elastic, and good smelling wigs. Let’s check out the video clips below.
Steps to wash wigs with fabric softener
1. Prepare a mixture Add 150mL of fabric softener and 80mL of dish soap to 240mL of cold water in a medium sized bowl and gently stir them to mix.
2. Soak your wig in the mix. If tangled, it needs to be brushed with a wig brush. Place your synthetic wig in the mixing bowl and let it soak for at least two hours. If your wig is extra stiff, you may soak it overnight.
3. Rising and drying Rinse the wig with cold water until it’s clean. Use a cotton towel to pat dry the wig. Do not scrub the wig.
Use your steam iron for clothes
While the wigs get soaked up for about thirty minutes, it’s a good idea to turn them around several times. It’s important that you avoid rubbing them, which will lead to tangling. After washing them, they need to be completely dried. It’s typical to wash wigs once every two weeks, but you want to wash them right away if they start to smell. Synthetic wigs are not suitable for heat treatment such as using a hair dryer, but you can use steam irons for clothes to reshape them or make curls. Although steamers for wigs are available, you can try your steam irons for clothes first.
Styling a wig with a steam iron
1. Divide the hair into multiple sections and roll them up with flexi or hair rollers. Use a smaller roller for a tight curl and a larger roller for a loose curl.
2. Apply steam directly and lightly on the wig using your steam iron for clothes.
3. When the hair on a roller dries up, remove the roller rod.
Cut off hair beyond repair
If there is no way to fix hopelessly tangled hair, it’s better to simply cut the part off. If you are not skilled at shearing, it might be less mistake-prone to use a razor to trim. There are comb products come with an attached razor, making wig trimming much easier. Razors can easily cut wet hair, so you should soak the hair before trimming. Comb down the hair from the top to cut the tangled hair.
Apply coconut oil
Everyone knows benefits of coconut oils for protecting hair. It is further proven that coconut oils are also effective when applied to synthetic hair. Coconut oil contains fatty acids that are similar to those found in human sebum, so virgin coconut oils can be applied on synthetic wigs for moisturizing and keeping them softer, stronger, and easy to maintain.
Coconut oil treatment for synthetic wigs
1. Add three to five tablespoons of coconut oil in a bowl full of hot water and add a drop of an essential oil for extra scent.
2. Soak the wig in the mixture for five to ten minutes, and remove excess water by placing hairs between towels and applying light pressure. Let it air dry on a wig stand.
Hair Trend BY Joo Park
BNB Magazine DEC 2021 ©bnbmag.com